Honey and
Ricotta
food, life, ramblings

Sunday 23 February 2014

Decadently decorated chocolate meringues

I'm trying to overcome my fear of meringues. I can't seem to ever get them to the perfect balance: I panic they'll be too chewy and soft and end up making them too crisp, or I worry they're crisping up too quickly and they end up squidgy and with no protective outer shell. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. The Meringue Girls cookbook is helping: everything inside it is so beautiful, I want to make it all, and can spend far too much time sitting, admiring, oohing and aahing at each and every photo.


I had a tough time choosing what to cook for a visiting T. Eventually I settled on this pile of heaven. Chocolate meringue (which was this time slightly too crisp - time to try again...), dollops of mascarpone and swirls of salted caramel, sweetly poached pears, toasted walnut pieces and melted chocolate, all built up in the Jackson Pollock approached demanded by the gorgeous Meringue Girls. 


Do I need to tell you it was fabulous? Probably not. It was. I cannot wait for the leftovers this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_09.jpg  photo s_10.jpg